IOT-GATE-iMX7 and SBC-IOT-iMX7: Linux: Automatic Installation
This article provides an installation guide for Linux kernel and Debian root file system onto the IOT-GATE-iMX7 IoT Gateway and SBC-IOT-iMX7 Single Board Computer on-board eMMC storage.
- Obtain a PC workstation with a USB port.
- Download the BSP binary for IOT-GATE-iMX7 and SBC-IOT-iMX7 from CompuLab website. Use either IOT-GATE-iMX7 or SBC-IOT-iMX7 product web page for downloading. Unzip the package to a directory on your host workstation.
- All image files mentioned below can be found in the images subdirectory.
- Use the standard microUSB-to-USB cable to connect the host PC to the micro USB connector marked Console on IOT-GATE-iMX7 rear panel (connector P3 on SBC-IOT-iMX7).
- Make sure the new /dev/ttyUSBx device file is created by using the ls /dev/ttyUSB* command. x is the last number of the ttyUSB device.
Preparing installation media
- Obtain a micro SD card. Any commercially available micro SD card of 1GB (or larger) may be used.
- Create a first partition on it. The partition can be formatted either ext2/3/4 or FAT file system.
- Copy all files found in the install directory from the unzipped package to the first partition on the installation media (micro SD card).
Automatic Installation Procedure
- Start terminal emulation software on your PC with the following serial port settings:
Baud Rate Data Bits Stop Bits Parity Flow Control 115200 8 1 none none
- Plug the installation media (SD/microSD card) into the SD socket:
- On SBC-iMX7 - SD socket P9
- On SBC-IOT-iMX7 - micro-SD socket P18
- On IOT-GATE-iMX7 - socket marked uSD
- Turn on the system.
- The system will boot from the SD card and start the automatic installation procedure.
Kernel release : Linux 4.14.98-cl-som-imx7-6.3 ===CompuLab Automatic Installation System 2.0.1 (Nov 20 2018)=== Press any key to cancel installation 0
The Automatic Installation Procedure can be terminated by pressing any key during the timeout.
- The installation script performs all necessary steps including installing Linux images onto the on-board storage device (eMMC) and setting up the boot environment.
|The Automatic Installation script deletes the storage device during the installation procedure. All data stored on the eMMC will be lost.|
=== Installation Target: eMMC === * Mounting extra images * Loading extra modules ===Installing OS=== * Updating partitions * Formatting partitions * Copying kernel files * Extracting user space rootfs.tar.bz2 405MiB 0:06:37 [1.02MiB/s] [================================>] 100% * Unmounting extra images Please remove installation SD card ... Press any key to cancel restart 0 ...
- The system will reboot automatically to the newly installed Linux. Please reboot manually, if for some reason the system does not reboot automatically.
- Please remember to remove the installation SD card.
- Automatic installation doesn't start.
The U-Boot environment should be set to default:
- Power on the board.
- Press and hold Ctrl-C to get command prompt.
- Set default U-Boot environment and boot the board:CL-SOM-iMX7 # env default -a CL-SOM-iMX7 # saveenv CL-SOM-iMX7 # reset