CL-SOM-iMX7: U-Boot: Creating a bootable SD card
CL-SOM-iMX7 system-on-module uses SPI flash as its main boot storage. In addition to the on-board SPI flash, the CL-SOM-iMX7 can also boot from an SD card. This article describes the preparation and the boot process for using an SD card.
SD card requirements
Prior to installing the firmware on an SD card, make sure that:
- The SD card partitions do not start in the first 1MB of the SD card. Otherwise, the partitions may be overwritten by this procedure.
- The partitioning is not done using GPT. Otherwise, the GPT data above 1K (from start of SD card) will be overwritten by this procedure.
Installing firmware on an SD card
The firmware can be installed on an SD card using a workstation with an SD card reader.
- Insert the SD card into the workstation card reader
- The SD card will be identified as /dev/sdX, where X is the SD card drive letter.
- Run the following command:
dd if=cl-som-imx7-firmware of=/dev/sdX bs=512 seek=2 skip=2 conv=fsync
Booting from an SD card
- Insert the MMC/SD card into the SD socket (P9) on the SBC-iMX7.
- Hold the ALT BOOT (SW3) button while resetting/powering on the CL-SOM-iMX7 evaluation system
- The CL-SOM-iMX7 will boot from the SD card