CL-SOM-iMX8Plus: Yocto Linux: Manual Installation: SD card
This article provides instructions needed to install the Yocto Linux SD-card image on SD card using a Linux Host workstation. The image provides full boot system including U-Boot, Linux kernel, device driver modules and example root filesystem.
- Obtain a Linux PC workstation.
- Obtain a USB Card reader and an micro-SD Card. Any commercially available micro-SD card of 4GB (or larger) may be used for the installation.
- Download the SOM-iMX8M-Plus Yocto Linux package from CompuLab website.
- Unzip the package to a directory on the host workstation. From now we assume the device name is pakage_dir.
- The Yocto Linux SD-card image file, mentioned below, can be found in the images subdirectory.
- Plug the USB SD Card reader into the host PC. Insert the micro-SD Card into the USB Card reader. From now we assume the device name of the MMC/SD card on your Linux PC is /dev/sdX.
- Flash the image file to the micro-SD card:
bzcat pakage_dir/images/imx-image-full-som-imx8m-plus.rootfs.wic.bz2 | sudo dd of=/dev/sdX bs=1M
Run Yocto Linux image
- Insert the micro-SD card into SD socket P23
- Connect a standard USB cable (included in the kit) between your host PC and the evaluation kit micro-USB2.0 connector P13
- Use a terminal emulator as described here
- Press and hold the ALT_BOOT button (SW7) and then reset / power-on the system to force boot from SD card. Release ALT_BOOT button after 2-3 seconds
- The system boots into Linux