CL-SOM-iMX8: Yocto Linux: Manual Installation: SD card
This article provides instructions needed to install the Yocto Linux SD-card image on SD card using a Linux Host workstation. The image provides a full boot system which includes U-Boot, Linux kernel, device driver modules and example root filesystem.
- Obtain a Linux PC workstation.
- Obtain a USB Card reader and an SD Card. Any commercially available SD card of 4GB (or larger) may be used for the installation.
- Download the CL-SOM-iMX8 Yocto Linux package from CompuLab website.
- Unzip the package to a directory on the host workstation.
- The Yocto Linux SD-card image file, mentioned below, can be found in the images subdirectory.
- Plug the USB SD Card reader into the host PC. Insert the SD Card to the USB Card reader. From now we assume the device name of the MMC/SD card on your Linux PC is /dev/sdX.
- Flash the image file to the SD card:
bzcat ~/path/to/images/cl-som-imx8-yocto-linux/fsl-image-qt5-validation-imx-cl-som-imx8.sdcard.bz2 | sudo dd of=/dev/sdX bs=1M
Run Yocto Linux image
- Insert the SD card into SD socket P13 (bottom side of SB-iMX8 carrier-board)
- Connect a standard USB cable (included in the kit) between your host PC and the evaluation kit micro-USB2.0 connector P12
- Use a terminal emulator as described here
- To boot from the SD card:
- Press and hold the ALT_BOOT button (SW7) during reset / power-on